Abby Wambach On Playing In The Rio Olympics: "Whatever I Decide, I Will Be Happy" - Buzzfeed News Music

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Abby Wambach On Playing In The Rio Olympics: "Whatever I Decide, I Will Be Happy"

“Here’s the confusion, unconfused: I don’t know what I’m going to do about Rio next year,” the U.S. Women’s soccer star said during a community event at Citi Field.

"How old do you think I am?" Abby Wambach asked an auditorium filled with 6 to 12-year-olds this morning before throwing out the first pitch at Citi Field. This was the World Cup Champion's very last stop on her WWC victory media blitz before leaving for a much needed vacation, her bags packed and ready to go by the door. The kids in attendance at the Citi Kids event called out their guesses, ranging from 24 to 35 — the correct answer.

"I am soooo old," she joked after revealing the truth. Wambach then asked the room if she should play in the 2016 Rio Olympics next summer. The auditorium's resounding response? "Yes!"

USA Today Sports / Reuters

Liz Clayman/CitiKids

Just minutes before, Wambach was downstairs speaking to the press about that same question. The USA striker responded to the speculation surrounding her Rio decision head on.

"Here's the confusion, unconfused: I don't know what I'm going to do about Rio next year in terms of deciding on whether or not I'm going to go for it. In my mind, I have to believe that if I'm asked to be on the team, I don't know if I can say no," she said. "A lot has to happen between now and then," she added, referencing conversations with coaches and family. The most important thing to happen between now and Rio? A vacation.

"I need to take a vacation, I get to go on vacation tomorrow — actually I get to go on vacation in about an hour and ten minutes [...] I'm excited to just get away, maybe turn my phone off for two weeks which would be amazing."

Olympics or no Olympics, Wambach seemed satisfied that either decision would be her final one. "If and when I make a decision, if I were to not play I would be sure about it. If I were to play, I would be sure about that too. So, whatever I decide I will be happy. Very, very happy."

Sarah Karlan/ BuzzFeed


View Entire List ›

No comments:

Post a Comment