It’s Time For Black Women To Fall In Love At The Movies - Buzzfeed News Music

Thursday, August 6, 2015

It’s Time For Black Women To Fall In Love At The Movies

Because they do in real life.

Getty / Rebecca Hendin / BuzzFeed

Less than 10 seconds into the trailer for Sleeping With Other People, a new romantic comedy drama starring Jason Sudeikis and Alison Brie, I found myself suddenly taking a keener-than-usual interest in my screen. Why? Because right next to Sudeikis, I spotted a black girl of about my complexion, her hair in natural curls and coils, falling back on the bed, clearly worn out but exhilarated by sexual bliss.

The shot lasts about a second, probably a little less. It was the first and only time I saw her in the two-and-a-half-minute trailer.

youtube.com

We never even get to know her name, but we are told she is the best friend of the woman we assume to be Sudeikis's unnamed significant other (played by Margarita Levieva, and best known as Amanda Clarke on Revenge). This nameless black woman joins an infamous screen sisterhood: The Black Best Friends Club™.

After I posted the trailer, a friend sent me a private message: "Sudeikis slept with a black girl in the first 10 secs of the trailer, so bases are covered." (I replied: "I hate that I cheered.") On Twitter, a follower quipped: "I believe it's the first time I've seen the black best friend introduced and DISPENSED WITH in the trailer."


View Entire List ›

No comments:

Post a Comment